Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Creating a Mardi Gras Float

It's all about scale, or is it?  In order for me to create a scale model Mardi Gras float the foundation would  be approximately 13" by 40" - the size of a flat bed tractor trailer.  So I did some thinking and since this will be part of a display and not for purchase, I have to make it eye-catching.

You will need the following:
wooden CD crate

4 wooden discs for wheels I painted black

assorted fabrics colors and textures to cover crate

You'll need to have a theme to accessorize the float.  I picked my aunt's miniature shop, located on Royal Street in the heart of the French Quarter, The Black Butterfly.  I had to think about butterflies - they started off as caterpillars, so I will attempt to make a caterpillar from the green taffeta and place on the front of the float.  Here are other items I will add to the float:

stick on flowers found in the kids craft section of JoAnn's

black suede scrapbooking paper and a butterfly punch

The project items cost about $35. Let's see how long it will take me to get creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment